Learn More About the FUE Hair Transplant
Overview of FUE Hair Transplant in Chicago, IL
Follicular Unit Excision (FUE) is a method of surgical hair transplant that is gaining popularity because of its more accurate and less painful use of specific tools that target an individual follicle rather than a strip of hair or FUT Follicular Unit Transplant. During an FUE hair transplant procedure the process of extracting the follicles one-by-one is repeated until the doctor has enough hair to make the planned hair restoration.
The Science of a FUE Hair Transplant
Follicular Unit Excision (FUE), whether manually or through robotics, is performed with a precise science. Calculation of the angle of the hair is one of the most important considerations in removal of hair via Follicular unit extraction. A follicular unit is a group of hairs growing together and comprising a hair graft. These clusters of hairs are removed together and the surgeon attempts to avoid transecting or cutting the graft along its root. Cutting the graft will essentially lead to a nonviable graft. The analogy here is cutting a tree via its trunk and trying to plant it. The hair needs the root system and the branches.
The exit hair angle of the hair can be calculated by astute surgeons.
Typically the exit angle of the hair is different than the angle of the hair within the scalp. The challenge is that the human eye must make some calculations to properly remove hair without transecting it:
- Exit angle
- Anticipated hair within scalp
- Caliber of the hair (size of the hair)
- Amount of hairs in graft (1,2,3,4)
- Shape of the hair
- Depth of the hair- too shallow will lead to transection of hair or capping of the graft, too deep will lead to excess tissue removal
- Alterations in tissue angle with injections of saline or lidocaine – angles will become more perpendicular to skin
- Friction created by the punch due to rotational forces- each punch rotates into the skin which can alter the entry angle into the skin and alter the position of the hair shaft.
- Change in pattern of hair once in contact with the extraction device (FUE)
FUT vs FUE Hair Transplant
There are many reasons why having your hair transplant with Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) is a better option then older more outdated procedure such as a strip surgery hair transplant (FUT) The difference between FUT and FUE hair transplant procedure lay between extracting the individual follicle and the strip. FUT Strip surgery creates a linear scar on the back of the head and is often difficult to conceal.
The advancement of Robotics and Artificial Intelligence has paved the way for advancements within the hair transplant industry. ARTAS Restoration Robotics is a team made up of scientists, engineers, and industry leaders that have revolutionized robotics for aesthetic purposes.
The ARTAS 9X Robot is the only robot that can perform hair transplants in the world. In fact, it is the only robot that can perform aesthetic procedures.